In The Dark And Under Water.

After the ice came rain. Days and days of drizzle which woke old father Thames from his slumber and swelled his belly until the riverbanks could hold him no more. Slowly, slowly the waters rose until my little garden stood ankle deep in water. I took this photo late at night and by morning father Thames had sighed and returned in peace to the confines of his bed. 

My garden lies lost and forlorn. It has done for months. I yearn to be out there planting, digging, sorting... but I am not allowed to do too much at the moment. For eleven months I have had labyrinthitis or benign positional vertigo (I am still waiting for the doctor to decide which it is) and so I become dizzy with too much movement of my head. Or too little. Or, to be honest, any movement. My poor, poor garden lies silently, waiting for my return. 

3 comments:

Whitewater said...

Poor old you, I always thought it was your Hubby that made your head spin. Old Father Thames has this habit of covering your garden in a blanket of water. I am sure it will return in the summer to its glorious best.

Avus said...

So sorry to hear about the vertigo, that must make life uncomfortable and result in a very "calm and careful" Christmas.

Your feeling for the Thames is very Celtic, seeing the river as a father figure who supports you, surrounds you and occasionally disciplines you. It is interesting that, in spite of everything, all our river names retain their Celtic (and probably older) roots.

Love the new blog layout. Take it easy.

herhimnbryn said...

Oh, poor you. Take time, just take time and heal. Sending you Christmas wishes and healing thoughts for the new year.